Lavender & Garlic in the Village Festival
Join us this year on Saturday, July 11, 2015, from 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The event last year was part of the Los Ranchos Growers' Market and was a huge success!
The Los Ranchos Growers' Market hosts the Lavender and Garlic Celebration with extended hours from 7:00 A.M. until 1:00 P.M. at 6718 Rio Grande Blvd NW. Last year's event was much smaller in size as compared to previous years and was not held at the Los Ranchos Agri-Nature Center. The Lavender Festival has undergone some changes over the years. Since the Lavender in the Village Board of Directors has announced that it will no longer produce the annual festival, the Growers’ Market will sponsor a Lavender and Garlic Celebration, similar to what the market did in 2011, when the festival took a sabbatical. This year, vendors will have fresh cut lavender bouquets, special lavender products, lavender plants, various types of garlic, and special products featuring garlic. Classes and demonstrations will include cooking with lavender and garlic; growing lavender; growing and harvesting garlic; using lavender, as well as lavender wand demonstrations. There is no Village-wide celebration this year.
The market features fresh cut lavender bouquets, lavender plants, companion plants, special lavender products, various types of garlic, and special products featuring garlic. Arts/Crafts vendors will have unique items showcasing lavender and garlic.
Ask the Expert Tent:
- 7:45 – 8:15 am: Growing Garlic – Phil Herlan
- 8:30 – 9:00 am: Growing Lavender & Companion Plants – Jennifer Hobson
- 9:15 – 10:00 am: Cooking with Lavender and Garlic - Mia Maes
- 10:15 – 10:45 am: Cooking with Lavender: Sweets - Matthew Hartman
- 11:00 – 11:30: Using Lavender/Lavender Demo - Monica Canaris
- 11:45 -12:15: Natural Beauty Products - Betty Kloppenburg
- 12:30 – 1:00 pm: Cooking with Lavender & Garlic - Mia Maes
Grower Vendor Specials Include:
- Mia Maes: Lavender Rub & Spice Mix
- Old Windmill Dairy: lavender lemon chevre, garlic/herb chevre
- Green Growler Smoothies: Blueberry/Lemon/Lavender Smoothies
- Cravin Cookies: lavender shortbread cookies, lavender pound cake
- Nancy's Jams & Jellies: 4 types of lavender/fruit jams
- Bees Knees Chocolates: various chocolates infused with lavender
- Universal Herbs: lavender salve, lavender oil
- Little Ranch Creamery: Garlic flat bread
- Jericho Nursery: Lavender and companion plants
- Lewandowski: purple potatoes
- Herlan: Los Ranchos Garlic
- Hand-to-mouth: Various garlic varieties
- Brawley: fresh garlic, lavender bouquets, and lavender products
- Montoya's Garden: lavender sachets
- Geri's Catering: lemon lavender cakes, lavender lemonade
- Arrowsmith's: various types of garlic
- Los Poblanos Farm Shop: lavender products
Arts & Crafts Vendor Specials Include: (some Arts/Crafts vendors will be demonstrating their techniques at their booths)
- Josie Mohr: lavender soap
- Rita Ryan: lavender and garlic themed pottery
- Betty Kloppenburg: Lavender Natural Beauty Products
- Marie Watkins: lavender tees
- Brooke Harper Design: lavender dresses
- Pamela Armbrecht: lavender quilts
- Kevin Binkley: lavender soy candles
Lavender represents not only a plant and fragrance but, more importantly, it represents a "lifestyle". This lifestyle is one of peace and serenity in a semi-rural, agricultural setting. It is one that most city dwellers can only dream of and visit on occasion. Our Lavender Festival gives the city dwellers a chance to get out of the city and decompress. Lavender, as well as our festival, represents romance and intrigue much like the name Los Ranchos de Albuquerque. The ditches are flowing, fields are greening up, alfalfa is being cut, and fruits and vegetables are growing. Visitors are treated to a vibrant display of rural and agricultural heritage.
The mission of the Lavender in the Village of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque is to preserve and enhance Los Ranchos public open space, stimulate an interest in sustainable agriculture, with an emphasis on educating the public, including such matters as historic agriculture, lavender and its uses, and fostering community spirit.